Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK weekend MTG draft



Greetings Gamers,


Photobucket

Over the Martin Luther King weekend, I got a chance to play a little Magic the Gathering limited. We drafted three packs of newest set, Return to Ravnica.



My opponents for this day of destiny were: Dillon Fulgium, Tony Leeper, Justin Hosey, James Fulgium, and Nick Patton.

Photobucket
Each of us grabbed three packs of cards. 

We opened a pack, chose one card from it, passed the remaining cards to the person setting next to us.
Photobucket
We kept taking one card at a time until all the cards were gone,
repeating the process with the two subsequent packs.
Photobucket
Dillon showing off the Vraska the Unseen he pulled.
 (He would subsequently crush me with it in a later match)

After all the cards are divvied out, 
We made forty card decks from the cards we chose and as many basic lands as we wanted. 

Photobucket
Look at all those wrappers, it was like Christmas!

I built a passable Blue/White/Red control deck, with a surprising amount of counter spells.
Nick and James played White/Blue/Black
Dillon played Black/Green/Red
Tony played Green/Red/Blue/White
Justing played Red/White/Blue as well and we sat next to each other, stealing each-other's picks.

I love the dynamic color struggle of drafting. I like to watch players struggle to choose colors to play as they draft. It's interesting to see people taking cards for there own decks and also pick cards specifically to keep it out of the hands of other players.

Haven't played limited Magic the Gathering in a while and I really had a great time. Is it me, or has drafting gotten way more fun? Maybe I've just been missing it. I noticed way fewer junk cards in the later picks than in the past. Besides some mana screws (we're still playing MTG after all...), I think everyone ended up with a fun, playable deck.

Photobucket

If you're in the Enid Ok area and would like to give it a try (or know someone who would), feel free to message me. We're going to try to draft again soonish, so I'll try to get you some information.

Photobucket

-Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment